A paper was used as a basis for community and stakeholder participation in the process of developing environmental management goals for the waterways that are located within the Circular Head and Waratah/Wynyard municipal areas. The Pieman Catchment is partially within the West Coast municipal area.
The paper was prepared by the Environment Division in association with the Land and Water Management Branch, of the Department of Primary Industries, Water and Environment. The discussion paper was initiated from a workshop held with council officers from the Circular Head and Waratah/Wynyard Councils in July 1999. The paper has been modified to reflect the outcomes of the community consultation process.
After public consultation, and with approval of the above planning authorities, Protected Environmental Values were then finalised and a final paper prepared. The Protected Environmental Values will be shown in the park management plans, used for Natural Resource Management and considered in water management planning.
Words and expressions used in this paper have, unless the contrary intention appears, the same meaning as defined in the State Policy on Water Quality Management 1997 and the Environmental Management and Pollution Control Act 1994. Ecosystem refers to physical, chemical and biological aspects of the aquatic environment.
These Protected Environmental Values have been formally set. The paper has been amended to include the process of their establishment and to provide an accessible document for those in the community who have water-related interests.
The paper is divided into six main sections:
- The first part discusses water reform in general.
- The second part gives some general information relating to the area covered in the discussion paper.
- The third part discusses the State Policy on Water Quality Management.
- The fourth part shows the Protected Environmental Values for the catchment.
- The fifth section discusses water quality and water quantity values.
- The sixth section shows the community water values that were obtained from community workshops and public meetings.
Circular Head and Waratah Wynyard Catchments - Final Paper
Individual Catchment Maps