The EPA regulates noise from Level 2 Activities by the setting of noise level compliance limits. Their limits are set on a case-by-case basis using the following general considerations:
- The current land uses and noise levels surrounding the Activity;
- The historic context of both the Activity and the surrounding neighbourhood;
- The future expectations for the neighbourhood;
- The characteristics of noise from the Activity, including its attention attracting capacity;
- The current level of noise from commercial and industrial activities;
- Possible impact from associated activities, such as transport and infrastructure noise;
- Contemporary noise control technologies and contemporary requirements in other jurisdictions.
These considerations are reviewed in relation to possible intrusion of noise from the Activity above other noise in the area and the general acoustic amenity of the neighbourhood.