A paper was used as a basis for community and stakeholder participation in the process of developing environmental management goals for the waterways that are located within the Mersey River Catchment.
The paper was prepared by the Department of Primary Industries, Water and Environment (Environment Division and the Land and Water Management Branch) with the assistance of Devonport City, Latrobe, Central Highlands, Kentish and Meander Valley councils. The Protected Environmental Values will be shown in the council planning schemes and park management plans.
After public consultation, and with approval of the above planning authorities, Protected Environmental Values were then finalised and a final paper prepared. The Protected Environmental Values will be shown in the park management plans, used for Natural Resource Management and considered in water management planning.
Words and expressions used in the paper have, unless the contrary intention appears, the same meaning as defined in the State Policy on Water Quality Management 1997 and the Environmental Management and Pollution Control Act 1994. Ecosystem refers to physical, chemical and biological aspects of the aquatic environment.
These Protected Environmental Values have been formally set. The paper has been amended to include the process of their establishment and to provide an accessible document for those in the community who have water-related interests.
The paper is divided into six main sections:
- The first part discusses water reform in general.
- The second part gives some general information relating to the area covered in the discussion paper.
- The third part discusses the State Policy on Water Quality Management.
- The fourth part shows the Protected Environmental Values for the catchment.
- The fifth section discusses water quality and water quantity values.
- The sixth part lists the community water values that were obtained from community workshops and public meetings.
Mersey River Catchment - Final Paper
Mersey River - Overall Catchment Map
Mersey River - Upper Catchment Map
Mersey River - Mid Catchment Map
Mersey River - Lower Catchment Map
Mersey River - Catchment Map