Action on Waste
The Tasmanian Government is taking action on waste. A collaborative approach is being adopted which allows state and local government, industry, waste management authorities and the community to work together to produce the best outcome. So far, the following actions have been undertaken:
- The Minister for Environment, The Hon. Elise Archer, MP, hosted a Round Table on waste and recycling in July 2018 with key stakeholders in the industry to identify challenges, barriers and opportunities for managing waste and recycling in Tasmania. A media release and communique provide further information about the outcomes of the Round Table.
- A consultant's report on a model framework for a
Container Refund Scheme for Tasmania was released.
- Commitment to the development of a Statewide Waste Action Plan for Tasmania was made at the Round Table. A draft has been prepared and will be ready for consultation shortly.
- Commenced developing a program to utilise offenders on Community Service Orders to pick up litter on public land.
- The development of curriculum-based teaching resources on waste. These will be released shortly.
See also other important areas for managing waste in Tasmania, such as