If you are dissatisfied

​​​​​​​​​I​f you are dissatisfied with how an issue, report or complaint has been handled, you have these options:

  • Contact the Tasmanian Ombudsman (call 1800 001 170 or visit the Ombudsman Tasmania website)
  • Contact the Tasmanian Civil and Administrative Tribunal by calling 1800 657 500 or visit the TASC​AT website​
  • The Environmental Defender's Office may be able to assist in providing advice on action you may be able to take (6223 2770 or Environmental Defender's Office website)
  • Alternatively, seek your own independent legal advice

The following document sets out the EPA's policy and procedures for handling external complaints.